DM

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Should schools ban packed lunches? We ask school cooks, pupils and their parents

School dinner, owen brown

Owen Brown, from Sheffield. Father of Erinn (5) and Temzin (3)
It would concern me if dinners were compulsory. My daughter enjoys the flexibility of having a mixture of dinners and packed lunches. If she doesn't like what's on the menu then she'll take a sandwich instead. My son, who hasn't yet started school, is a much fussier eater. I'd worry that he just wouldn't eat what's on offer.

school dinners, Mukhtar Karim

Mukhtar Karim, from Amersham. Father of Mohammad (12), Mariam (9), Zainab (5)
School dinners are useful but they're not something I feel should be enforced. My son eats dinners where halal meat is available. If there isn't any on the menu then he's pushed on to the vegetarian as a matter of course, which may mean that he doesn't enjoy his lunch.

Leanne Winter, school dinner mom

Leanne Winter, from Devon. Mother of Charlie (11) and Theo (7)
I don't think it's a good idea. My children go to a very small school where meals are made off-site and delivered to school. This means they're very limited in space and what they can achieve. Instead, they have packed lunches – these are incredibly varied and healthy.

Karen Francis, school dinners

Karen Francis, cook at the School Dinner Company, which provides food to schools in North Somerset
It's a great idea but it's just not practical. Many of our local schools don't have kitchens because these were converted into extra classrooms 10 or so years ago. Enforcing school dinners would mean children had healthier diets. Whether or not it is possible will depend on funding.

Corinne Du Preez

Corinne Du Preez, cook at Kings Court First School in south-east London
It's a brilliant idea, before working in a state school I worked in an independent school where there was no option to bring in a packed lunch. It worked really well because all children were eating healthy nutritious foods. It's concerning to see the types of food children bring in packed lunches.

school dinner, jane trestain

Jane Trestain, cook at Padstow School in Cornwall
I don't know whether all parents would want their children to have cooked dinners. It all boils down to cost, otherwise I imagine more would sign up. We've had great feedback about our school dinners and the children are involved in picking the menu.

School dinners, Rebecca Anstey

Rebecca Anstey, aged six. Pupil at Holy Trinity Infant School, Nottinghamshire
I only have school meals on a Wednesday but I like them more [than packed lunches] because they are very delicious. My favourite meal is roast beef. They serve lots of vegetables and I like all of them. I have broccoli and tuna with my pasta. We have a pudding as well, it is usually apple crumble.

Fred Drabble

Fred Drabble, aged 11. Pupil at Deptford Green School in south-east London
Every day of my life at primary school I had an identical packed lunch of hummus and carrot sandwiches because I hated the school meals. It was nice, but got so, so boring, I almost went crazy. Now I'm at secondary school the meals are delicious I have school dinners, so do all my friends.

Ella Green, school dinners

Ella Green, aged 16, has just graduated from Kesteven and Sleaford High School, Lincolnshire
At secondary school I had a mix of school dinners and packed lunches and I enjoyed the flexibility. If you wanted to pick something at home you could, or if you knew there was something on the menu that you wanted you could opt for that.

Amy Fleming, school dinners

Amy Fleming, aged 18, has just graduated from St Julie's High School
I'm not sure that making dinners compulsory is a good idea. It would depend on the variety that's provided. It could cause problems for younger children who are a bit fussier about what they eat – though, equally it might be a good way to encourage children to have what's on offer and try new foods.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment